Friday, January 27, 2012

Still no library!


Good news and bad news. The good news is that Jim and Colleen went to speak to the guest house director and told him why we were not happy with our new accommodations. He was apologetic and charged us only for one night’s stay and breakfast and supper. And he would provide a driver and truck to move us to the other guest house where we got our old rooms back with a higher room rate than the one we were leaving which was half the price. The director gets brownie points because he dealt with the problem with a sincere apology. We think he wanted us to be able to recommend them to others or at least not turn others away. Good business! So we are settled into our old rooms with hot water (when the power works) and cold running water when it doesn't.  It beats lugging heavy plastic jerry cans to sponge bath and for the toilet.

Gisele and Colleen have interviews with a school headmistress across the street from our guesthouse (Susan’s old primary school when she was a kid) while brad and I walk back to the house. On the way, Grace calls and tells us the shipping container is stuck in bond in Kampala and will not arrive today. Another lost day. Jim is worried if is delayed another day, he will not make his flight home next Thursday. He still needs to get shelves and solar electrical system installed. The lumber for shelves is on the shipping container as are his tools. Oh well....good day to catch up on the internet, blogs, and news from home.

I helped Ada and Kalisa with hand washing laundry this morning. While we chatted and spent some time together. it felt good to be doing some busy. I treated them and little Esau to an ice-cream for 500 shillings each or about .25. They had the biggest smiles on their faces. It is hot and next to no breeze. It is getting hotter every day. Maama Esau is planning a special dinner tonight for us. Looking forward to hand-made chapattis....yum! Hoping I can teach Ada to make the curtains for their new bedrooms. She wants to be a tailor one day and I'm hoping we can get her set up to apprentice with a tailor who sews on his treadle singer sewing machine from our house where he stores it in return for access to his sewing machine to make the curtains. We have 3 sewing machines donated that are in the shipping container. But Jim needs to install the solar electrical in order to run 1 - 15amp machine with nothing else running on the system. Treadle machines are great because it doesn't run on electrical at all. We see the treadles all over town. Grace says the container may arrive tomorrow. Well...we are learning things happen slowly and in their own time here. Patience wins the day!

Gisele and Colleen are winding up their interviews as they fly out for home on Tuesday night and will be home on Wednesday night. We will be so sad to see them leave. I think I will be changing my flight to fly home with Jim whenever that happens. Just waiting to see when the container arrives and how long it takes to get the library up and running before I know. By for now!..............Chris

2 comments:

carol church said...

Sounds like a great trip Chris. I'm very happy that you are able to do this trip of a lifetime opportunity! Congrats to you and your team and I hope the library items arrive soon!

Luweero Bound! said...

thanks carol. and it very much an emotional journey. I won't see the way we live at home the same way again. we have so much. am looking forward to consistent hydro and hot showers! no mosquitoes! love you...