We have been staying at a guest house in Luweero, about a 15 minute walk
from the Maama Watali house. Susan and I are sharing a room with brad
having his own. There are hot water showers there...unexpected and
welcome luxury!
Brad and I both pretty tired yesterday as
neither of us slept well the night before. I was a little cranky when
we had to have our bags searched at 2 buildings. My pack was locked and
had to pull out keys and find right key for right lock. While Susan and Brad waited for me to get it together. I'm getting a lot of teasing
about my big camera/computer bag which seems to have my life in it. I
keep compartments locked so strangers in the street can't jostle me and
open zippers to take what they want.
We met the girls and kids
and others who stay or hang out at the house. They made us supper last
night and the night before. The first night they made us a chicken
stew, mashed bananas, roast potatoes. Last night we had dried tilaupa
with potatoes and steamed mashed bananas. We were also treated to fresh
jackfruit before supper which is fresh and sweet. breakfast at
guesthouse is an omelet, sausages, toast and a wonderful milky tea which
is steeped in hot milk and chai spices.
Today we are having a
work day at the house. Walls have been painted and shelves will go up
for the library books when they arrive. The shipping container was in Mombasa Tuesday. We are waiting for it to be released from customs and
trucked to Kampala where we arrange for it to be trucked to Luweero
after it clears Uganda customs. Sometime end of next week.
Today
I gave the youngest children colouring books, crayons and books. They
were a hit! The books were Dr Suess Cat in Hat and Green Eggs and Ham.
I read the cat in the hat out loud and loved the big smiles on Kayanji's face. Ebra is two and loved his Sesame Street picture book. He wanders around with it under his arm. He doesn't cry anymore when he
looks at me like he did the day before. Progress! however, he cries
when his picture is taken. Runs from the camera. I gave tea to the
girls and micro screwdriver, and head lamps to the guys. There is no
hydro at the house. The women make supper on charcoal braziers in the
dark. Susan brought them a solar panel light which will be much used. We plan to buy more lights and rent them out. When the battery needs to
be charged, People bring back the light and recharge it with solar
battery charger. It will be income for Maama Watali.
Tomorrow we
will be going into Kampala for a wedding introduction party and will be
there until Sunday or Monday. I'm having a traditional Ugandan formal
dress sewn by a tailor. The bride's groom will be formally introduced to
her family with him providing her family with gifts. We will be part
of the bride's family. It is Susan's niece. Brad has a traditional
man's dress to wear and is literally a long dress. he has been getting a
lot of teasing from Susan and I about it.
Susan's brother Jackson, who had polio at age 8 from a bad polio vaccine, and walks with crutches has been our driver.
I
am especially drawn to the children. hey have such big eyes and smiles
and intensely curious. I love to say hello and wave and touch a hand
or face. They are simple and just love to look at us up close. been
taking some pictures and will take lots more through the day today now I
am better rested.
Anyway my Internet time is about to run out. If you don't hear from me everday....don't worry. we cannot always get
to Internet cafe to blog and check email everyday. Love to all of you! Miss you....Chris
2 comments:
when can we see some pics, sounds like you are havin a blast. Go girl!
xoxox cindy
have to ask dennis for instructions on how to do that. soon....I hope.
Post a Comment