I needed to buy fabric for quilting friend at home, fabric for the girls to work on for own project and maybe a bit for me. I needed to get them thimbles and batting which no one knew what I was talking about. So I found some lovely batiks to take home for Lisa and some solids for the girls. I still need to go back another day to get 8 meters of fabric for their backing. Will have to get thimbles and batting at home and send it back here. The shopping district is so congested and hectic with people everywhere. Some with amazing things on their heads from loads of cooking pots, to plastic baskets, and I don't know what else as they were all wrapped up in huge bundles. I never knew someone's neck could support such heavy loads. But they do here. I hurried to keep Sarah in sight as it would not be good to be mouzoungo alone there. I walk with my purse zipped, money in different places on my person, and purse across my chest and hold it in front so no one can grab it or dip a hand in or in my pockets. The hard part was remembering what money I put where and what denominations of shillings to give out. You don't want to flash around the larger bills of 20,000 or 50,000 shillings (about $8 and $20 respectively).
We leave Jan 2nd, 2012 for rural community, 40 miles north of Kampala. To set up a community library and solar powered electrical system. Working with two U of O grad students working on a needs assessment for a vocational school.
Monday, January 16, 2012
Fabric Shopping!
Yesterday, we drove into Kampala
with 8 of us in Jackson’s van. 3 in rear seat (I got the middle on top of
the seatbelt fasteners and felt every bump on my poor butt, woulda thought I
had enough padding to not matter...not!) and 3 in middle seat and 2 in front
including driver ....Jackson. We scattered separate ways. Susan to
do some business, dam got dropped off don't know where, brad, Shalan and Madeleine
to walk around Kampala road, and I was taken to market district to meet auntie Sarah
for fabric shopping.
I needed to buy fabric for quilting friend at home, fabric for the girls to work on for own project and maybe a bit for me. I needed to get them thimbles and batting which no one knew what I was talking about. So I found some lovely batiks to take home for Lisa and some solids for the girls. I still need to go back another day to get 8 meters of fabric for their backing. Will have to get thimbles and batting at home and send it back here. The shopping district is so congested and hectic with people everywhere. Some with amazing things on their heads from loads of cooking pots, to plastic baskets, and I don't know what else as they were all wrapped up in huge bundles. I never knew someone's neck could support such heavy loads. But they do here. I hurried to keep Sarah in sight as it would not be good to be mouzoungo alone there. I walk with my purse zipped, money in different places on my person, and purse across my chest and hold it in front so no one can grab it or dip a hand in or in my pockets. The hard part was remembering what money I put where and what denominations of shillings to give out. You don't want to flash around the larger bills of 20,000 or 50,000 shillings (about $8 and $20 respectively).
I needed to buy fabric for quilting friend at home, fabric for the girls to work on for own project and maybe a bit for me. I needed to get them thimbles and batting which no one knew what I was talking about. So I found some lovely batiks to take home for Lisa and some solids for the girls. I still need to go back another day to get 8 meters of fabric for their backing. Will have to get thimbles and batting at home and send it back here. The shopping district is so congested and hectic with people everywhere. Some with amazing things on their heads from loads of cooking pots, to plastic baskets, and I don't know what else as they were all wrapped up in huge bundles. I never knew someone's neck could support such heavy loads. But they do here. I hurried to keep Sarah in sight as it would not be good to be mouzoungo alone there. I walk with my purse zipped, money in different places on my person, and purse across my chest and hold it in front so no one can grab it or dip a hand in or in my pockets. The hard part was remembering what money I put where and what denominations of shillings to give out. You don't want to flash around the larger bills of 20,000 or 50,000 shillings (about $8 and $20 respectively).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment