grrr....I hate this slow
internet here. I spent 40 minutes typing out blog posting to send to Dennis
for him to post on blog....internet wouldn't send it and it is lost. So
I've added another 1000 shillings for another 30 minutes to redo it.
grrrrr......
Yesterday I stayed at the guesthouse for most of the day because Jackson, brad and Susan drove into Entebbe to pick up Shalan and Madeleine at their guesthouse there. They arrived Thursday night around midnight local time. There wasn't room in the car so I opted to have another quiet day on my own. I caught up on a bit of sleep, finished my book on Kobo, did some laundry, and worked handquilting one of my Maama Wakisa pattern samples. As I sewed, I thought about how quilting brings women together to sew and socialize. I thought that maybe this could work here in Luweero where it would draw some of the women especially those curious about what we are working on and start them talking. Maybe the girls can teach them if they are interested and pass on the skills I'm teaching them.
When I watch Pressie sew, she has a peaceful and happy smile on her face and clearly enjoys what she is sewing. it makes me happy to watch her. The other girls are also enjoying the work I give them. This is so in my comfort zone to teach them and something I know I can do. Maybe this is part of my contribution.
On Monday, Susan is putting with her sister Sara in Kampala to take me shopping for fabric. I have $100 us to buy fabric for a good friend and I want to buy fabric to convert my hearts and flowers pattern, the only pattern I have with me for the project I have here and they are working on. I spent some time yesterday, converting the pattern sizes and fabric requirements for them. So I'm looking forward to picking out colours for them. They don't know about it yet. So it will be a surprise.
Madeleine and Shalan arrived at our guesthouse late afternoon with Jackson, Brad and Susan. They settled in and we went back to the house. The girls made them a late lunch of scrambled eggs and irish potatoes. Then we had our supper of stewed meat (beef), sweet potatoes, cabbage and matocki about 3 hours later. I've gotten the girls to give me much smaller portions as I can't eat the amount they give me and I don't want to waste the food when it is so hard to prepare and others have so little.
The doors and windows were finished at the house the day before yesterday. Concrete floors are being poured today. Brad dug out clay bricks and debris out of an area in the back to put a veggie garden for the girls to plant beans, peas and greens. Brad planted an avocado tree the day before. We have set aside space for a second water cistern as the existing one is dry. Girls are hauling water in 15 jerry cans from a distance away for the house. This is why I do my own laundry now so they won't waste water on my stuff. I hang my laundry in or room at the guest house where ever I can hang capris and t-shirts like from grill work on our doors. Will have to get a picture! We don't have money left in the budget for the second cistern which will cost $1300. Susan says don't worry Brad...it will happen....just trust! They need the 2nd cistern to gather rainwater during the rainy season. it is the dry season so while it rains in Kampala, it isn't here.
We are also talking about planning our 3-4 day trip to murchison falls and hopefully see gorillas. Likely next or early next as the shipping container is still stuck in Mombasa with no word on when it will be released and trucked to Kampala and Luweero. So we are marking time and staying busy.
Don’t know what else to say .... more will come to me when I'm off-line or at 3am. so....if you can't post on the blog...post on my Facebook page as I do check that and post on it as much as my internet minutes allow me to. so I will sign off for today and check Facebook while I still have 18 minutes left! Love to all you and please keep reading and post when you can. Miss you all....and a special hello to my baby sister carol and a belated happy birthday to my sister Cathy! xoxoxo....Chris
Yesterday I stayed at the guesthouse for most of the day because Jackson, brad and Susan drove into Entebbe to pick up Shalan and Madeleine at their guesthouse there. They arrived Thursday night around midnight local time. There wasn't room in the car so I opted to have another quiet day on my own. I caught up on a bit of sleep, finished my book on Kobo, did some laundry, and worked handquilting one of my Maama Wakisa pattern samples. As I sewed, I thought about how quilting brings women together to sew and socialize. I thought that maybe this could work here in Luweero where it would draw some of the women especially those curious about what we are working on and start them talking. Maybe the girls can teach them if they are interested and pass on the skills I'm teaching them.
When I watch Pressie sew, she has a peaceful and happy smile on her face and clearly enjoys what she is sewing. it makes me happy to watch her. The other girls are also enjoying the work I give them. This is so in my comfort zone to teach them and something I know I can do. Maybe this is part of my contribution.
On Monday, Susan is putting with her sister Sara in Kampala to take me shopping for fabric. I have $100 us to buy fabric for a good friend and I want to buy fabric to convert my hearts and flowers pattern, the only pattern I have with me for the project I have here and they are working on. I spent some time yesterday, converting the pattern sizes and fabric requirements for them. So I'm looking forward to picking out colours for them. They don't know about it yet. So it will be a surprise.
Madeleine and Shalan arrived at our guesthouse late afternoon with Jackson, Brad and Susan. They settled in and we went back to the house. The girls made them a late lunch of scrambled eggs and irish potatoes. Then we had our supper of stewed meat (beef), sweet potatoes, cabbage and matocki about 3 hours later. I've gotten the girls to give me much smaller portions as I can't eat the amount they give me and I don't want to waste the food when it is so hard to prepare and others have so little.
The doors and windows were finished at the house the day before yesterday. Concrete floors are being poured today. Brad dug out clay bricks and debris out of an area in the back to put a veggie garden for the girls to plant beans, peas and greens. Brad planted an avocado tree the day before. We have set aside space for a second water cistern as the existing one is dry. Girls are hauling water in 15 jerry cans from a distance away for the house. This is why I do my own laundry now so they won't waste water on my stuff. I hang my laundry in or room at the guest house where ever I can hang capris and t-shirts like from grill work on our doors. Will have to get a picture! We don't have money left in the budget for the second cistern which will cost $1300. Susan says don't worry Brad...it will happen....just trust! They need the 2nd cistern to gather rainwater during the rainy season. it is the dry season so while it rains in Kampala, it isn't here.
We are also talking about planning our 3-4 day trip to murchison falls and hopefully see gorillas. Likely next or early next as the shipping container is still stuck in Mombasa with no word on when it will be released and trucked to Kampala and Luweero. So we are marking time and staying busy.
Don’t know what else to say .... more will come to me when I'm off-line or at 3am. so....if you can't post on the blog...post on my Facebook page as I do check that and post on it as much as my internet minutes allow me to. so I will sign off for today and check Facebook while I still have 18 minutes left! Love to all you and please keep reading and post when you can. Miss you all....and a special hello to my baby sister carol and a belated happy birthday to my sister Cathy! xoxoxo....Chris

1 comment:
Enjoying your daily posts Chris
How lucky the Uganda children are to have you and your team over there
Gail
Post a Comment