Saturday, January 28, 2012

Making samosas!

Didn’t get to internet today. I was busy helping Grace’s sister Deborah make veggie samosas from scratch and it was an all day event. Internet closes at 2pm I am told.  The samosas were made with diced Irish potatoes, peas, onions, and carrots with an oyster mushroom sauce that Deborah grows herself. So I was busy dicing veggies, and helping Deborah stuff the pastry after she had made them and had lightly pan fried them. We had some for lunch with rice and cabbage and then I cooked the rest of them for supper in hot oil on a charcoal cooker. A very hot day in the sun to sit beside a hot cooker and not splatter hot oil on my feet. The samosas were yummy and a very welcome change from rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beet greens, and cabbage with the occasional meat that is our daily diet for both lunch and supper. I will not be eager to eat rice and potatoes for awhile when I get home. We are all craving a fresh, crisp salad and I would love a cold chocolate milkshake and then a cold margarita!  For the undecided!

Also yesterday, I was measuring 2 windows, a door and for a curtain partition between 2 rooms for the girls.  Ada is going to help me and I will teach her how. We measured and cut fabric and lining. I have to adapt methods to use the tools I have available and simplify because language is a problem for both of us. We got one panel sewn on a treadle singer sewing machine by dark and until no longer able to see and it was time to have supper.  Supper was sweet potato, peanut sauce, matoki (steamed mashed bananas). We walked back to our guesthouse....about a 15 minute walk in the dark and under brilliant stars. The power was out with only those with small generators having light. It is a bit daunting to walk in the dark, avoiding potholes at the side of the road and hope we can see people on bicycles. Boda-boda bikes have one headlight so we can see them. And still we are always mindful they drive on the other side of the road to us as in Britain. Often catch ourselves looking in the wrong direction and then see a car, bike or boda-boda bearing down on us just in time.

We got to our guesthouse. Had a welcome cold water shower and washed layers of grime and dirt. I lost my two camp towels at the hostel in Murchison falls rushing out for our 6am call for game safari on Monday. so I'm left with my facecloth and hand cloth I brought from home. Managed to get sunburned again today....even though I was out of the sun cooking for most of the day. Don't know how that happened. Yes...I know....forgot the damn sun block!

We sat outside our rooms on the porch at guesthouse drinking warm white wine and played rumoli on Gisele’s suitcase as a table. Cards kept falling off. Jim is a master strategist and seems to skunk us each hand. I finished last with only a deficit of -50 instead of -85 by hand number 2. So that was progress. Bed around 11:45 when disco music started to play that went all night.....sigh....

No comments: