Thursday, January 26, 2012

No Library!

The shipping container was to have arrived today. We are told it will be Friday. Another wasted day. I wasn't able to eat much at breakfast (and hadn't had much appetite since Monday). Everyone commented on how awful I looked and that I needed to rest and sleep and feel better for when the shipping container arrives at the house. I got teary because once again...I'm feeling like I'm not pulling my weight. Before I burst into tears, I left for my room to have a good boohoo. When I calmed down and washed my face, I felt a bit better. Susan comes into my room and tells me I need to stay put for the day. She would send someone over with fresh pineapple and would visit later. I told her no...I'm a big girl and quite able to look after myself until supper at the house. So downloaded pics from my camera to netbook, organized luggage, read. Walked to main road to pick up some cold water, do some banking and more airtime for my cell. That was my test to see if I would be up to walking the 2 miles to the house. It went well. Except for an old man who came up to me begging for money. He was persistent and not taking no for an answer. I had my cell in my hand .... Pretended to punch a phone number in like I was calling someone and had an imaginary phone conversation like I was having some difficulty with a stranger and he wandered away. First time...I felt a little concerned walking alone. Usually isn't a problem. The kids here laugh and wave and holler "mouzoungo how are you" in a sing-song voice. It will be hard to go home and not have kids greet us with a big smile and how are you?

Around 4, I just couldn't stay in bed any longer. I gathered some things for the internet, cell, hat, bottle of water, and sunglasses and left for the 2 mile walk to town and the house. I called Susan when I was 10 minutes away to tell her I was on my way there on foot. Moses and Jackson had already left with my fruit a while before and I must have just missed them.

The girls greet me warmly and ask me if I'm feeling better. And I was. I left to walk over to the post office to do some internet and get caught up on my blogs. Which I knew was going to take awhile. And it did....nearly 2 hours of internet time and finish up today.

Meanwhile, we are all disgusted with our new guest house. it isn't terribly clean and it doesn't take long to go through 2 jerry cans of water with washing hands, sponge baths and flushing toilets. By dark we were all out of water. Susan speaks to the manager/caretaker who tells her they have had no water for over a month to a water shortage. and the story changed to the nuns use all the water first. It was apparent that the promise hot and running water when we first went to look at the guest house was a bold-faced lie in the hopes we would book there. We did. By bedtime, we agreed we would check in the morning to see if we can get our rooms back at the Anglican guesthouse
that is only 10 minutes away from the house and move. I'm a happy girl....no more spiders!

No comments: