Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First day in Uganda

We got into Kampala about midnight. our baggage made it intact. brad's was last one off the belt. so we didn't get to meet Susan in arrivals until well after 1am. Got into Kampala to the house we are staying in well after 2am. Bed around 3am with cold shower to wash away 2 days of travel grime.

It is sunny and warm with a wonderful breeze. We have been driving around the city with Susan’s brother Jackson driving. traffic is crazy with scooters called booda-booda's (spelling? spelled it like it sounds) weaving in out of traffic.

Had eggs and sausage and chai tea with a huge plate of fresh fruit in cafe. cost about $10 cdn and considered expensive here.

At an internet cafe blogging you and checking email.

We will be driving to Luweero later this afternoon and staying there until Saturday. birthday party then for member of Susan’s family. We are dressing up. Susan and her sister are taking me to a tailor to have a formal Ugandan dress made for me. ready in a couple of days.

Brad is anxious to get to work on helping to fix roof of library and set up shelves or whatever needs to be done.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty dopey from jet lag but thrilled to be here and just taking it all in. my neck feels like it is on a swivel in the car....with so much to see and look at. I just love it here. not homesick at all so far which is a welcome surprise. Susan and her family are making us feel so welcome. like we are part of her family. I guess we are that.

Oh....funny story at Ottawa airport. Had an anti-theft scanning wallet with my passport and cards in my hand going through security. Which kept pinging the security wand. They didn't know why and I didn't think of putting in my pack where it should have been. I was offered either a "manual body search" or bodyscan. I took the scan. which still showed up as 3 red flags on my pants. They couldn't figure out why. I really thought a body search was going to be plan C. They figured out eventually all was really fine and I wasn't a terrorist. meanwhile brad had gone ahead to gate as he thought I was already there. he didn't know I had an issue a security. We laughed about it. But for a while....I was thinking this is not going to be good. It is funny now but not at the time when we needed to get to our gate.

Just glad to be finally off planes (Ottawa-Frankfurt-Brussels-Kigali-Entebbe) and out of airports. long day and a bit. slept in brief 20 minute intervals on the plane. lots of time to read. almost finished my melissa gilbert (of little house on the prairie fame).

Anyway....that is all for now. Will post photos as soon as I figure out how. more later! Be well my friends and family! xoxo

No comments: