Hello
everyone.....just so you know, I'm emailing my posts to Dennis who is posting
them on the blog. Both brad and I are having trouble posting on blogspot.com
so I know it isn't me.
Yesterday I spent the day our guest house in Luweero because I have developed
hives from the sun on Monday on both feet. I started the antibiotic the
travel clinic gave me Monday night....4x a day for 7 days. And I have to
stay out of the sun....not easy in Uganda and nothing with calcium so I am
taking my tea black until early next week. Susan and Brad and Jackson
were going to Kampala overnight last night. Because I wasn't feeling well
I stayed at the guest house in the shade. I read and worked on some hand
sewing on quilt appliqué blocks I brought with me. It was a lovely quiet
day by myself! Loved it! One of our girls, Brenda walked over and
kept me company for a couple of hours. I think it was more to reassure
everyone at the house that mousoungo Chris was doing fine and pass the message
on to Susan in Kampala. In the evening I showered and washed out some clothes,
and hung them to dry.
The girls did my laundry Monday for me at Susan’s request. I would have
rather that I did it myself in our room at the guest house. Susan insisted I
needed to have the girls do it. I did my own underwear....too personal to
have the girls do it. I found out from Brenda yesterday that because it
is the dry season, there water cistern is nearly empty. So Maureen the oldest
at the house, woke the girls up at 1am Monday night to fill 15 jerry cans with
water at the community well about 15 minute walk each way. They spent
hours taking care of getting water for the house. This bothered me.
So I will do my own laundry....a little each night with my biodegradable
camp soap I brought. My laundry didn't use up the water but it didn't
help. The girls are also cooking for 3 extra mouths to feed (brad, Susan and I)
and that takes more water. So I won't make the situation worse with my
laundry.
The guest house staff made me 2 hamburger patties, roast potatoes they call Irish
potatoes, cabbage with carrots, and a banana for supper. It was delicious and
reminded me of home. Lunch was stewed meat, Irish potatoes, and brown
fried rice with cabbage, banana and a coke. I ate it on the porch in the shade.
I was watching for Brenda to come
and didn't want to miss her.
This morning I had breakfast, omelet, sausage, and a banana with clear black
tea. I'm missing my chai with milk which I cannot have until next week.
I walked on my own to the house, about a 15 minute walk each
way....waving to the children who call out "hello mousoungo" and I
wave back to them. The adults just stare and don't wave or say anything.
We are such an oddity for them.
The girls made popcorn from dried corn with clear sweet tea and we ate it in
the shade at the house. I must remember to take pictures of the house to
bring home. Because of the slow internet.....I cannot post them for you.
Internet is high speed in Kampala but we are not there often.
Today we bought 2 cooking pots for the house. Susan was cross because the
vendor was rude. So rather buy the 3 pots she had planned she bought two
and no dishes from them. This is rather unusual for her. They don't
usually treat her that way. so they lost part of the sale they would have
gotten. Such is price of rudeness.
Brenda is going to buy an umbrella for me so I can stay out of the when I am
walking around. I will give her the money. I don't go with her
because the price goes up high when it is clear it is for the mousosungo lady.
I think I will also buy one of the Ugandan cotton dresses that our girls
make. Been looking for a cotton dress and a skirt as I only brought one
cotton sundress with me. It is cooler to wear.
I'm hoping the girls will give me something to do. I'm uncomfortable watching
them do all the work preparing food. They have let me cut up vegetables
but their knives are not very sharp and it takes me a lot longer to cut them
up. My Lugandan lessons are going slow. There is so much to
remember. There are 6 ways to say hello depending on the time of day, and
whether you are talking to someone you know, a stranger, and whether you are
talking to a man or a woman. they laugh at my accent in Lugandan. So
we all laugh and I say the mousoungo is slow and is still learning. The
girls are patient and keep correcting me when I say things wrong as I have
asked them to do...so I will learn.
The shipping container is still in Mombasa and time is marching on. Brad is
here only until Feb 3rd before he goes home. His tools are also on the
container so he is limited in what he can do at the house. He is
frustrated with not being able to work.
I don't know when we will be in Kampala again. Shalan and Madeleine from OttawaU
arrive tomorrow in Kampala and Susan, Brad and Jackson will pick them up Friday
morning. I will stay here as there won't be room in the car for 7 and
their baggage. Don’t know if they will just drive in Friday am or leave Thursday
night.
Anyway I will end here. My internet minutes are running low and I want to
leave time to post on face book before they run out. Will try to send Dennis
a post tomorrow if I can get in to the internet café here. Love you
all......miss you terribly! xoxo Chris
3 comments:
Hi Chris, Sorry to hear about the sun problem. I remember the rash I developed when in Sri Lanka and number of years ago...not fun
Enjoying the newsy notes. Sorry about the container!
Carolyn
Chris I don't know how you do it - you deserve a medal. It truly does make one thankful for all we have here. Really sorry about your sun problems - I can sympathize as many years ago I got such a bad sunburn (and it was a cloudy day) - back of my legs were so burned I could barely bend them to get on bus. All the best
Gail
thanks gail. I'm doing well actually. rash healing well and have lots of sunscreen on. this place really changing my values. love it hear. especially the kids who smile and greet me hello mousoungo!
Post a Comment