This morning we walked
further down the highway to check out the catholic diocese guesthouse. There
are a couple of Canadians staying there and they recommended it as clean as and
cheaper than the one we are staying at now. it is $30/day for double room
and $25/day for singles. so we set off to check it out. We couldn't
see any of the rooms today but what we did see was clean and well maintained
and it is quite a bit cheaper. And we will each have a single room. Yippee!
so we plan to move there (unless something comes up that their rate is different
than we were told) after our planned trip to Murchison falls Sunday to Wednesday.
so we will be there on Wednesday night. Brad has a key to a storage room
at the house so we can store our extra baggage their where it will be secure.
We have a guide coming to pick us up early Sunday morning with side stops along the way. It is a 5 hour trip each way and he is also arranging our accommodation probably in a campground in a tent. So our mosquito nets will be needed. We had thought to arrange it ourselves but it is pretty much guess work on where to stay each night with a lot of phone calls and language issues. So we will trust our guide with Jackson negotiating pricing. We are all looking forward to the trip and putting Maama Watali away for a few days. It will give everyone at the house some much needed breathing space and break from cooking for 5 extra mouths.
Shalan, Madeleine, Brad and I were talking over breakfast. We are all a bit frustrated with how our plans for the day can be hijacked by other people which could be workmen at the house, or unexpected visitors or just stuff getting in the way of what planned to do. I wanted to start working on the planned quilting project for the girls but couldn't get near the one table we have so I wandered the house or around town trying to stay out of someone's way. Feeling a bit like I'm not doing anything of value. I didn't know until this morning over breakfast that all of us were feeling that.
So I am learning to be more verbal about what I need and want to do and get on with it....."Use your voice Chris is what I hear in my head". Brad is especially frustrated with staying occupied when his tools and all his tasks are tied to the arrival of the shipping container. He is concerned he may have to extend his stay beyond Feb 2nd if the container is much later. Shalan and Madeleine realized this morning in looking at a calendar of close they are to their departure of Jan 31st and so many interviews and people to talk to. They have begun interviewing our girls with the overwhelming feedback being they want to be able to sew. So this is where I come in. It was great to have that validated so I began to prepare their own project this afternoon. Slow going when I have to adapt the pattern and use the tools and materials I have or have access to. Like old dusty blueprints that were abandoned for pattern pieces instead of freezer paper. Couldn’t make myself use it as it was pretty filthy. I was wondering how the girls could use the sewing for generating income and figure I can show them how to sew their curtains I have planned and they could make curtains for a price here in town. The girls want to be able sew clothes too and sell them. So I will to make that possible where I can.
So I have a role and a job to do teach them. We have three sewing machines coming on the container with a solar electrical system that we think we can run one 15amp machine at a time. it is a small panel. so I am excited about the work ahead. Something I know how to do. My hope is that the sewing and quilting in particular will draw other women in when they are curious about what we doing and want to see. So far anyone I've shown my work to, they have wanted me to teach them how. And I know how to do that too. Wish it was easier to get the things I need. If I had known this is what I would be doing, I would have brought more tools and supplies from home. It is a bit frustrating and a challenge to keep fabric clean from the unceasing red dust that settles everywhere. The workmen working on fascia and eavestroughing and brickwork and mortar for 2nd water cistern. There is mortar mud everywhere. My feet are clean only at night and first thing in the morning. I think my sandals will go in the rubbish heap likely before I even come home. Can’t get them clean.
Breakfast was good this morning at the guesthouse with lukewarm scrambled eggs (better than cold), sausage, fresh pineapple and toast with peanut butter that was actually pretty tasty. Love the milk-based African tea with chai spices. It is my favourite thing here by far, next to the pineapple and mangoes. Papaya is pretty good too. I am losing some weight now that I've cut my portions down at meals. Everything has at least 2 carbs, sometimes 3 with rice, sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Sometimes there is no meat....just rice, cabbage, and potatoes for either lunch or supper. We are treating our water rather than buying it every day as it gets expensive when we drink 2-3 bottles a day just to stay somewhat hydrated. Sometimes the girls make us fresh juice from oranges, passion fruit, and mangoes when they have them...yummmm! The odd lukewarm soda is welcome too. We are planning to have some warm wine after supper when get back to our guesthouse for the night. Some silly stuff going to happen there I'm sure!
Anyway...my minutes are running out! We will be in Kampala tomorrow to do some banking and errands for our trip leaving Sunday. Just for the day. love to all....xoxo...Chris
We have a guide coming to pick us up early Sunday morning with side stops along the way. It is a 5 hour trip each way and he is also arranging our accommodation probably in a campground in a tent. So our mosquito nets will be needed. We had thought to arrange it ourselves but it is pretty much guess work on where to stay each night with a lot of phone calls and language issues. So we will trust our guide with Jackson negotiating pricing. We are all looking forward to the trip and putting Maama Watali away for a few days. It will give everyone at the house some much needed breathing space and break from cooking for 5 extra mouths.
Shalan, Madeleine, Brad and I were talking over breakfast. We are all a bit frustrated with how our plans for the day can be hijacked by other people which could be workmen at the house, or unexpected visitors or just stuff getting in the way of what planned to do. I wanted to start working on the planned quilting project for the girls but couldn't get near the one table we have so I wandered the house or around town trying to stay out of someone's way. Feeling a bit like I'm not doing anything of value. I didn't know until this morning over breakfast that all of us were feeling that.
So I am learning to be more verbal about what I need and want to do and get on with it....."Use your voice Chris is what I hear in my head". Brad is especially frustrated with staying occupied when his tools and all his tasks are tied to the arrival of the shipping container. He is concerned he may have to extend his stay beyond Feb 2nd if the container is much later. Shalan and Madeleine realized this morning in looking at a calendar of close they are to their departure of Jan 31st and so many interviews and people to talk to. They have begun interviewing our girls with the overwhelming feedback being they want to be able to sew. So this is where I come in. It was great to have that validated so I began to prepare their own project this afternoon. Slow going when I have to adapt the pattern and use the tools and materials I have or have access to. Like old dusty blueprints that were abandoned for pattern pieces instead of freezer paper. Couldn’t make myself use it as it was pretty filthy. I was wondering how the girls could use the sewing for generating income and figure I can show them how to sew their curtains I have planned and they could make curtains for a price here in town. The girls want to be able sew clothes too and sell them. So I will to make that possible where I can.
So I have a role and a job to do teach them. We have three sewing machines coming on the container with a solar electrical system that we think we can run one 15amp machine at a time. it is a small panel. so I am excited about the work ahead. Something I know how to do. My hope is that the sewing and quilting in particular will draw other women in when they are curious about what we doing and want to see. So far anyone I've shown my work to, they have wanted me to teach them how. And I know how to do that too. Wish it was easier to get the things I need. If I had known this is what I would be doing, I would have brought more tools and supplies from home. It is a bit frustrating and a challenge to keep fabric clean from the unceasing red dust that settles everywhere. The workmen working on fascia and eavestroughing and brickwork and mortar for 2nd water cistern. There is mortar mud everywhere. My feet are clean only at night and first thing in the morning. I think my sandals will go in the rubbish heap likely before I even come home. Can’t get them clean.
Breakfast was good this morning at the guesthouse with lukewarm scrambled eggs (better than cold), sausage, fresh pineapple and toast with peanut butter that was actually pretty tasty. Love the milk-based African tea with chai spices. It is my favourite thing here by far, next to the pineapple and mangoes. Papaya is pretty good too. I am losing some weight now that I've cut my portions down at meals. Everything has at least 2 carbs, sometimes 3 with rice, sweet potatoes and white potatoes. Sometimes there is no meat....just rice, cabbage, and potatoes for either lunch or supper. We are treating our water rather than buying it every day as it gets expensive when we drink 2-3 bottles a day just to stay somewhat hydrated. Sometimes the girls make us fresh juice from oranges, passion fruit, and mangoes when they have them...yummmm! The odd lukewarm soda is welcome too. We are planning to have some warm wine after supper when get back to our guesthouse for the night. Some silly stuff going to happen there I'm sure!
Anyway...my minutes are running out! We will be in Kampala tomorrow to do some banking and errands for our trip leaving Sunday. Just for the day. love to all....xoxo...Chris

1 comment:
Hi Chris,
I am enjoying reading your thoughts, experiences, feelings, frustrations, and successes. I wonder if it would be okay to post a link to your blog on my facebook page?
Enjoy the safari! Take lots of pics.
Carolyn
Post a Comment