Saturday, February 4, 2012

Last day in Uganda!


My bags are packed. Samuel picked up my checked bags and one carry-on to take into Kampala. Grace and I will follow by taxi bus around 2 or 3 this afternoon. So we can have a leisurely supper and Marian  will take me and my baggage to the airport in early evening for my midnight 9 hour flight to Brussels and then Montreal to Ottawa airport where Dennis will meet me.

I'm fighting tears as I write. A lot of hard goodbyes to say to these girls, and little Esau who doesn't realize yet I'm leaving and Asa (from a distance in Kampala where he is in school). I've cared about them from afar without even meeting them. I love Grace's girls more having gotten to know them as young girls, or young single moms, brother, nephew, sisters, friends. They are part of me. I've gotten to know what they dream about and hope for their future. And they seem a long way away with a lot of obstacles for them to overcome and work through. If they want it badly enough to struggle and work for them....they will be okay as opportunities always present themselves at the right time when needed most. They have such faith here that things will improve and dreams can happen. And they can.

I'm coming home at the end of the week.  My body is wearing down with the heat and likely some dehydration. I don't want to be the weak link in the team and have them worry I'll get sicker. I don't want to slow them down. So I know I can be much more effective working from Canada on the June fundraiser and getting Maama Wakisa Designs off the ground to launch at the fundraiser. This is where my strengths lie. My body isn't made for heat...it is just the way I'm made as many of you already know. I had to come to see and experience what Grace’s world is like and who the people she loves are. And I don't regret a moment of it. I've made some amazing discoveries, had wonderful experiences and found some strong and resilient women and men that I love like family. They have embraced me and considered me part of theirs. That is an honour and a privilege that I don't take lightly.

So as I say my goodbyes, exchange email and phone numbers with to do lists of things I've promised to send, I'm looking to home and seeing my family and friends. Back to my kindred quilting group. To getting my unhappy toes looked after with Roxanne next week. They are sad and so much dust and grime on them I'll soak them for a week I think.

On the shipping container, Uganda Rotary International has seen the container and touched it at the customs depot in Kampala. So it made it from the side of the road from Ginja where the truck had broken down for 2 days. The latest is that Jim and Grace go to Kampala Monday morning to open the container for customs inspection and wait to see what newest taxes and "fees" customs comes up with. What a journey that sounds more like a bad soap opera. Once the container arrives Jim can then plan his departure date and get home to his family. He is a trooper and getting on with what he needs to do. And he so waits.....

So I will see you all on the other side and look forward to having a slide show of pictures to show you.  I'm hoping to put some on Facebook when I'm over jet lag. Love you all and I'll continue to post the journey as it continues from home and let you know the newest trials of the shipping container that remains still in Kampala. See you soon........xoxo........Chris

2 comments:

Madeleine said...

Chris, reading your blog and feeling for you re emotional departures!! hope the rest of your trip was less eventful than the beginning after the breakdown!!!

Luweero Bound! said...

thanks madeleine. the goodbye's are so hard aren't they.