Friday, February 3, 2012

Preparations and packing


I had to tell the girls Wednesday night I am flying home early. It was hard. Maama Asaa whom I've bonded the most with had tears in her eyes. We had a little cry together with our heads pressed together. It will be an emotional day tomorrow saying goodbye.

So today, I have started my packing at the guesthouse. I've separated clothes I am leaving behind for the girls and toiletries items, sunscreens, over the counter stuff, as well as things I brought with me from home to leave. So my baggage will be much lighter which is a good thing as I have to lose one suitcase so I can travel with one carry-on. Brussels airlines (Entebbe to Brussels) is a stickler for weight as we discovered when we flew in early January.

I have my to-do list for today and tomorrow. We have hired the driver who drove us to Murchison falls to take me into Entebbe airport for 180,000 shillings or about $90 including gas. The airport run is about 3 hours each way and I fly out at midnight tomorrow night. The drive from Kampala to Luweero is treacherous in the dark and I don't want Samuel driving home on it in the dark. It is dangerous with many accidents happening at night. I don't know if I blogged about it....I think I did.... that a taxi or a bus hit a parked transport truck on the side of the road at around 3am a few weeks ago killing 20 people. Turned out Michael, our guide and driver lives close to the accident site and one of the first on scene. Pretty brutal and not a pretty sight or sounds of people injured. Some likely died waiting for emergency workers to arrive. It is not like our response times at home. Very sad. So all to say, I would rather pay a driver to do this instead of Samuel. Michael knows what he is doing and I feel safe with him. We will be leaving for the airport before dark anyway.

So today, the plan is finish my packing, run my errands and spend the rest of today and tomorrow doing some quiet sewing with the girls and chat. Looking forward to that.

Dennis asked me last night what I would like for supper on Sunday. I replied grilled salmon, a crisp fresh salad with a mojito or margarita. However, it may not be a good idea as one drink with jet lag may well put me under the table. I fly Entebbe to Brussels, Brussels to Montreal and Montreal to Ottawa and arrive around 4pm Ottawa time. I'm most looking forward to seeing Dennis at the airport and being in his arms Sunday night in our own bed.

An update on the shipping container. It turns out on Wednesday that we discovered the container had been stuck outside of Ginja for two days with mechanical issues. However, in Kampala someone in customs had signed off that it was at their depot in Kampala and wanted to assess taxes on it for used sport equipment, without seeing the container or the necessary paperwork or they even knew where it is. Grace is in Kampala again today with Samuel pay whatever fees are needed and get it released to be trucked here later today. We will see. What a journey. Gives new meaning to "Uganda time"!  It is amazing anything gets done in business and commerce. If it worked this way at home...commerce would be a standstill!  Jim still waiting and hoping it arrives today or tomorrow and he can plan when he will be able to go home. He’s been pretty frustrated with twiddling his thumbs trying to stay busy.

So that is all for now. I hope to post one last time tomorrow on my departure day. Please know I'm okay and doing well. I just need to get out of the heat and get home. I'm pushing fluids today and will hydrate for the trip home tomorrow. There will be much processing of everything and good to reread my blogs of the journey. Something I haven't done so what you read is pretty raw and just as I see it as it happens. Please forgive if it is intense in the blogs. This is a pretty intense place and the experiences are equally so. Looking forward to seeing you all soon and sharing pictures. Will take some more today and tomorrow. See you all soon.....xoxo

No comments: