Thursday, February 2, 2012

Last minute shopping in Kampala


Today I spent in Kampala after driving in with Grace and Samuel, finishing some shopping for fabric, and items to leave with the girls at the house. Grace’s sister Deborah met me at the marketplace to do my shopping.Samuel and Grace won't allow us to go on our own. Deborah was sick with the flu and looked unwell. So I shortened my shopping list to get the essentials and get her on her way back home and to bed. I bought some more batiks for a friend at home and some to give as gifts to the girls with a zippered quilted bag, pins, scissors, etc, 2 new sharp kitchen knives as the ones they use are very dull (one has no  handle!). So those knives are going to go "bye-bye". I still want to find some airmail paper and envelopes and stamps so the girls can write us, if I can find them. And 8 meters of black fabric for the backing for the quilt project they have started. I will send batting from home, and anything else I can think of.

I spent time talking to auntie Faith, Grace’s oldest sister and got to know her a little better, with a bit of time on the internet and working on editing Tuesday blog, while I waited for Samuel to come and pick me up. He did and we went for lunch and spent a lovely afternoon over burgers, fries and cold sodas with African chai tea.  Grace met us briefly as she had a meeting in the same place. Her nephew Joseph met us too and I treated him to a burger.  I gave him money to replace his cell phone as my goodbye gift for taking such good care of me since I've been here. He called Samuel on his new phone to talk to me and tell me he is talking to me on his new cell and he sounded so happy. It made me feel good.

No comments: