Monday, February 6, 2012

Home Safe!

Funny story I forgot to tell.  I was walking to post office to internet last week, when I saw a group of 8 big cows with really big horns led by a boy about 8yrs or so.  I didn't know which way they were going to go as they seemed all over the dirt road in town.  I stopped and waited to see which way I needed to go.  They were heading right for me when I leapt up onto the grass towards the nearest house while the locals had a great laugh at the muzungo lady jumping out of the way just in time.  All I could think of was what a picture that would have made for Jim to add to his collection had he been with me.  When I told him about it later, he remarked about the heavy weight of responsibility these young boys have to get these animals home safely without losing one.  He imagined what the consequences would have been at home had he lost one, given how valuable these animals are to the well-being of the family.  Sobering thought.

On the day of my departure, Grace and I took a taxi bus with Maama Asa into Kampala mid-afternoon to meet up with Samuel who had taken my luggage with him early that morning.  He would take Grace and I to meet Ruth's's sister, Marian to take me on to Entebbe airport for my flight.  About 20 minutes into the taxi bus ride on the road to Kampala, we heard a loud bang, while the driver fought for and maintained control of the vehicle.  I knew as soon as I heard the bang, that the rear driver-side tire had blown.  All 17 of us on the taxibus were quiet and calm.  The driver handled it extremely well.  He pulled over safely and we piled out.  Rubber tire debris littered the road.  The spare tire was pulled out and driver worked on replacing blown tire.  When another taxi pulls up with a friend of Grace's family working as conductor jumps out.  Lugandan words are exchanged with Grace.  We pile into his taxi and carry on into Kampala to meet up with Samuel.

The incident reminded me of how bald Samuel's tires really were and that they needed replacing.  Grace was having the same thoughts.  I gave nearly the last of my Ugandan shillling to buy Samuel  buy his 2 new front tires and have them installed right away on our way to meet up with Marian, as a thank you for looking after me for 4 weeks without any expectation or thank you needed.  It was important to me to give him this gift because I so appreciated his time and care.  All of Grace's family, from her sisters to Samuel, nephew Joseph, and the girls, treated us like we were family.  Sharing what they have and generous with their time and energy. What a gift that was to be considered part of their family.

While we waited for the tires to be put on, Grace & I waited in the car in an automotive area of the market.  I noticed a young woman with 2 little ones....one about 6 or 7 and the other a toddler while she was kneeling on a mat with a basket of mangoes she was selling.  I noticed how sad and worn out she looked.  I pointed her out to Grace.  She replied she was selling mangoes not in season and likely not selling too many.  I felt it wasn't the point and asked how much mangoes would cost.  I handed over some Ugandan shillings.  Grace got out and spoke to her and bought some mangoes with shillings we both contributed.  The mother smiled with the biggest smile you can imagine at both of us.  She approached me and I gave her another 5000 shillings just because.  She had no expectation nor asked us for anything other than did I want to buy more mangoes with the shillings.  I said no....it was for her.  Again a big smile like I had given her the world.  All Grace and I could think of is that it epitomized the essence of this amazing country.  Of the strength, resilience and self-reliance of its people and how a about $7 on our part, made the difference in whether they would eat that night.  We didn't know her and that didn't matter.  It made us both happy to do such a small thing and see how grateful and appreciative she was in that beautiful smile.  She was beautiful and so were her children.  It was an amazing memory on this my last day in Uganda after an emotional afternoon of giving away the clothes and items I brought from Canada and saying goodbye to the girls, to Samuel, and Grace, and Marian at the airport.  It was a great privilege and honour to have been able to go and experience this amazing country with all its beauty and contradictions.  It is the people, the ones I came to know and the ones I didn't know, the children's faces ...that nonetheless touched me and my heart.  I am not the same person who left home so many weeks ago.

I flew out of Entebbe, in the wee hours of Saturday night / Sunday am.  My flight to Brussels delayed leaving Entebbe 2 hours due to bad winter weather in Europe.  I slept 3 hours 3am to 6 am on the plane after a hot meal.  I made Brussels/Montreal connection ok with 45 minutes to spare out of a 3 hour layover.  Watched 3 movies on that 8 hour flight while I sewed some applique.  I thought of Dennis meeting me at the airport.  I couldn't focus on a book.  And I didn't want to sleep so I would sleep at home.  The rest of the trip home was uneventful with jet lag hitting me at Montreal airport while waiting 2 hours for the mtl/ottawa flight.  All I could think of was seeing Dennis at the bottom of the arrival escalator.

Dennis greeted me with a dozen red roses and a red heart balloon.  I flew off the escalator and literally launched myself into his arms and nearly knocking him over in the process.  I buried my face in his shoulder and cried happy tears.  He showed me his cell where he had an app for tracking my flight progress.  He knew when I had boarded each flight, when it had left and when it had arrived at each destination.  Wow!  He made me grilled salmon and scallops, rice and a crisp salad with strawberries for supper.  I opted out of the mojito he had planned as I felt it would put me under the table.  Not where I wanted to end up.  I did end up falling asleep in front of the tv and later in his arms in our bed.  Awake at 4am this morning ...still on Ugandan time.  My body and mind feel like they are in two different time zones.  It will be great to have them reacquainted with each other again in this time zone.   I am still working on regaining my appetite.  I lost 12 lbs according to our bathroom scales....very happy about that!  I must look like I was somewhere warm when a passenger at Mtl airport asked me where I had been as I looked so tanned and sunburned at the same time.  Cool!  Roxanne my esthetician is going to have my head for supper!

So I will spend the next few days looking after me.  While I process the journey with its ups and downs, and the grace of the people we met and came to know.  I'll revisit our blogs, journal, and photographs and remember the many people I met and had the privilege to get to know.  I'll remember our girls with their many strengths, big smiles, grace, talents and self-reliance and ability to carry on no matter what. I'll process what I have learned and the experience I would not trade for anything.  I look forward to going back and teach the girls how to assemble the quilt they are working on, to sew the little bags I gave each one with a pair of little scissors.  They are hoping I'll teach them to make them when I go back.  I can see them making them in African batiks and selling them in the market on market day for income.  This is something I know how to do.  I'll be in touch with Maama Asa about Asa's progress in school, send her the promised quilting items, notepaper and ugandan postage and anything else I can think to send.  I've been in touch with Samuel already.  I'm working on getting Maama Asa's phone number sorted out to set up a time on the weekend to talk to Asa when she visits him in kampala on the weekend.  She will let me know how the girls are.  I miss everyone...  a good and sad feeling at the same time.

On the shipping container front....Grace and Jim were in Kampala today to open the container for customs inspection.  Haven't heard about the outcome of that yet.  Checked Jim's blog and no joy there yet.  They will go back to Kampala early Tuesday morning to clear one last (hopefully) hurdle with customs to release container with a driver.












1 comment:

Carolyn Clark said...

Welcome back, Chris.
I am looking forward to the pictures!
What an adventure!