The library arrived this morning at the house in luweero! Got a text msg from Grace. How I wish I was there to unload it and set up the library and teach the girls how to use one of the sewing machines in the shipping container. Text msg also from Maama Asa today and one from Samuel yesterday. I really miss everyone. Still feel rather out of body with my brain somewhere else in another time zone. Dennis home tonight from business in Waterloo. Missed him. We had one night together under the same roof Sunday night before I took him to the airport Monday afternoon for another business trip.
I'm working on a care package to send to Luweero for the girls that includes notepaper, envelopes, ugandan stamps, fabric for the quilting applique project I left for them, replacement rotary cutter blades, applique patterns and anything else I can think of. Hoping to talk to Maama Asa and Asa on the weekend. Didn't get to say goodbye to Asa before I left because he was in school in Kampala. Miss singing to Esau to sleep in my arms. Miss Samuel's laugh. Miss Maama Asa's smile when we quilt together. Miss the kids in Luweero saying, "muzungo, how are you" with such big beautiful smiles. And the girls greeting me with a hug and welcome home each morning when I come in from the guesthouse. Hands and feet still red with sunburn. Yes, I used my sunscreen. It was really difficult to keep sunscreen on the back of my hands when I was washing them with hand sanitizer so frequently and feet always dirty with red dust.
Went to kindred quilters today, minus my lunch and reading glasses so I couldn't sew. I was greeted with warm hugs and "welcome home". Good to be with friends I hadn't seen since mid-December. Told them about the girl's efforts on their applique project. And my hope to be able to go back and teach them how to piece half-square triangles on electric sewing machine, piece everything together, sandwich everything with quilt top, batting and backing, put together a quilt frame and teach them how to hand-quilt their project for a finished quilt. I'd like to teach them how to make the little zippered quilted bags that I gave each of them that they can make themselves and sell them for income. I so look forward to those next quilting lessons and reconnecting with these my new Luweero friends. Next time I will be so much better prepared. I'll stay 2 or 3 weeks and not try to stay beyond what my body will handle.
No comments:
Post a Comment